Tuesday 17 January 2012

Review on BSNL Wimax in Kerala

I took BSNL WiMax ( Mobile WiMAX 802.16e) connection in September 2010 from Panampilly Nagar , Ernakulam. 

Here's the schematic diagram of the connection :

I opted for outdoor CPE , since with indoor CPE was not getting good signals when BSNL folks did the feasibility study.



They posioned the CPE towards the BSNL tower.  Once you connect the CPE to your PC using the LAN cable , you can enter the account credentials in the modem status page ( 192.168.1.1). Once after successful authentication , the status page will look like this



You will get a good connection if the RSSI value between -50dBm & -65 dBm and CINR value of 18 to 25. With above setup I was getting almost 2 Mbps download speed with torrents.

I am very happy with the Wimax xonnection. Moreover you can transfer the connection anywhere in Kerala ( yeah.. Roaming allowed ).

16 comments:

  1. Can you mention the approximate distance from the BSNL BTS Site to your home where you use your Wi-Max connection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stay around 4 km away from BTS. Even then getting a good download speed ( close to 1 Mbps ).

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, you get download speeds around 125kB/sec. Is there any interruptions in the line-of-sight, such as trees or buildings?? Which is your WiMax plan?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tall buildings / Trees can be a problem in signal path. There's an engineering mode in wimax modem , so that you can lock your device to a particular tower. I am into HOWI750 , unlimited plan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is there any way to get a wi-fi out of WiMax at home?
    I want to connect my phones and laptop wirelessly via wi-fi.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah...u can connect wimax to WiFi router and share the internet, that's what I am doing now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It should nof be DSL router, right?
    Can you say the model-name and brand of your router?

    ReplyDelete
  9. It can be one ADSL router. You need to enable DHCP in it and connect the wimax lan cable to any port of the ADSL modem. In my case, I use a TP-Link WiFi modem bought from eBay.

    ReplyDelete
  10. For HOWI 750 plan, what is the download speed u get ?
    BSNL provides 512mbps connection speed na... with unlimited data ?
    Or is thr a promo speed upgrade ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Though BSNL say 512kbps for HOWWI 750 plan , I am always getting close to 1 Mbps download speed with unlimited data. I don't think this is a promo offer , as I am using the wimax for last 3 years !!!

      Delete
  11. What Is The Difference Between BSNl Wimax Indoor Modem And BSNL WiMax Outdoor Modem...
    what is the cost of outdoor
    and what is the cost of indoor..
    i have a small family of 4 people...
    which one should i get???

    ReplyDelete
  12. Indoor modem is kept at your home and out door modem is kept outside your home...outdoor modem can receive good signal strength than indoor modem....bsnl does not sell the modem to you. You have to return the modem once you disconnect the connection..The deposit is 1000 rs and monthly rent according to the plan subscribed

    ReplyDelete
  13. I want to take connection of BSNL WiMax. I have a outdoor unit of TP -Link 54Mbps eXtended Range™ Wireless Access Point TL-WA501G. ....will it work?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sir my wimax plan 750 unlimited my signed rssi 59 and cinr link 20..jai signal theek hai

    ReplyDelete
  15. https://youtu.be/3Keen8wEya8
    latest wimax speed test

    ReplyDelete